Saturday, May 12, 2012

Look Who's Watching

I am learning more and more each day how some people are either truly compassionate to a person's situation or they really don't care much about other people's lives at all.   I find that it probably runs 50/50 with the people I meet or run into.  I understand that people fear what they do not understand.  My goal and purpose has changed to not only raise a son who is independent and happy, but to help people understand that special needs individuals are also special gifts from God.
I find myself getting defensive about negative comments people make and the classic looks I get when I go into public when Beckett begins to scream and squeal so loudly it could break glass.  I find older people in their late 70's give me the worst looks, people in their 50 -60's make the rude comments, and people in their 30 - 40's for the most part say "Oh my, he's loud" and smile, and anyone younger seems to just ignore it.   I really don't mean to stereotype people. I can only judge what I have experienced.  I think for the most part it is a generational thing.  I think the younger generations are more exposed to the language used to describe autism and other intellectual disabilities.
I have been told to "control my child" and "you really need to discipline him for that".  It's almost comical that they don't even know he can't talk.  Usually my response is to say, "sorry, but he doesn't have any language and can't talk this is how he communicates".  Most of the time they turn bright red and walk away, while other times they look at me as if they don't care.  Sometimes they have even left the store altogether.  It's as I intruded on their world and how dare I even bring him into public.  Usually, it's because of their own ignorance and selfishness.  I have even been ask "how could I even bring a child like that into the world?" I have responded by telling them.."He is God's gift to me and I would have never even have thought of terminating him, giving him away, or even putting him away in a home somewhere".  He is created in God's image and is fearfully and wonderfully made.  I do have to admit, I usually don't respond to that nicely at all and respond in a defiant voice myself.  I defend my child and would stand up for him to anyone. Yes, I do realize I can't change anyone unless they want to be changed.  I do have to be careful about how I respond and think before I speak. I try to be an example of what God wants me to be and I will be the first to admit I am not perfect but will always try to remember that other's are watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment