Friday, February 3, 2012

Family Impact

I guess no one ever really thinks that they will be blessed with a child with special needs. I do know that my son is a blessing to our family.  I feel like I am being refined for something, I just don't know for what yet.  I know that in time it will be unveiled and it will change my life for the better.  I do however, sometimes wonder why the "refining" has to be so hard. 

My family has had to learn and adapt to new routines and changing the way they do things for and around Beckett.  Him being a twin was hard because when we would do something for him, we also found ourselves doing the same for his twin, Pyper. I know she knows that he needs the extra help, but I still try an give her that little extra when I can. I feel guilty at times when I have to spend more one-on-one with Beckett and had to make Pyper wait.  Her need for attention is also very high. I guess every toddler craves every bit of attention from their parents.

Big Brother Sawyer Entertaining the Twins
We also ask a lot of our older children.  They help us out tremendously around the house.  Ok..in reality, they do sometimes have to be coerced to help.  On days we would come in from work we would have one of our teenage boys play with Pyper, while my husband or I would bring Beckett aside to work on sounds, making signs, or putting together puzzles.  At the same time, one of us would be cooking dinner for seven people. My other teenage boy would help me with chores and my oldest daughter helped when she could.  She was is at home going to college, working almost a full time job.  She would do house cleaning on days she was out of school or wasn't working early. 

Autopilot is common place in my life.  My five children keep me very busy. Four are usually in extracurricular activities. They have me running around to football games, practice, and therapy. It is all exhausting, but rewarding to see their successes.  I know that God has given me the strength to endure. Without my wonderful family I don't know how I would do it.  A friend of mine told me once that, "Children pick their mommies".. I know and believe that is to be true.  It sometimes is still day by day, but I know that there are going to be many blessings later and my hope still never fades for my special boy.


No comments:

Post a Comment