Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Coming Out of the Dark

Most of us in life have been hit pretty hard in the gut at times.  I am no different. Sometimes things happen to make our perspectives change about people, their intentions, and motives. Life is one experience after another.  The last two years have been the best and worst of my almost 50 years on this planet.  I have dealt with egocentric, arrogant and self-serving people who wear masks to get what they want.  I have worked with people that are so insecure about their own existence and let their envy and jealousy of others take space up in their brains, which eventually leads to them being unhappy and unproductive, then turning on you to be your worst enemy.  These combinations of people are what make life extremely difficult to navigate, especially if you are a people pleaser like me. I allowed these type of people all of my life prevent me from being who I was suppose to be. I can now say within the last few months of my life, I now understand that your calling is way more important than pleasing those who really don't give a shit or are the "right fighters" in this world.  They would rather be right than work towards a common goal.

This has all played out during a tough time in my own personal life.  There have been days I would go so deep into the darkness that the words of those who critique your life, personality and your drive seriously wanted me to slit my own wrists.  All my life I have been searching for affirmation, the acceptance that what I was doing was "good".  It is daunting.  My childhood was not a good one mentally or emotionally, yet I had almost every material thing I could ask for. It led to who I am today. I struggled to please the ones who were supposed to love me the most. I knew they loved me the best they could only because of how they were taught.  I never measured up to the expectations of what they thought I was supposed to be. However, it made me into the fighter I am today.  The downside, it allowed me to have high expectations of others, and they couldn't meet them either, causing me stress and frustration. To top it all off,  I struggled through school having to deal with multiple learning disabilities.  I was called dumb, lazy, stupid and for lack of words felt like I was the most unworthy person who walked the planet. I was mocked sitting in the "special classes". Funny, people laugh when I tell them I couldn't even get a date in high school. I was expected to sit pretty and keep my mouth shut. 

After the last few months, years I hit rock bottom.  The lowest and most devastated I could ever feel.  My rock bottom almost caused me to lose the one thing I love the most, my family and my children, my life.  The dark depression I was experiencing made me escape into fantasy land and working overtime to avoid the emptiness I felt.  It was incredibly lonely at times.  God was nowhere to be found, the one thing I had always depended on to get me through.  I lost faith. I lost myself.  The one thing that woke me up was the calling I had to continue what I had started.  It is a still small voice that whispered.  "I am here! Look up at me and know that I am here".  I glimmer of light.  To be honest, the thoughts of ending the life I knew was real.  I woke up. I had forgotten God had a plan for my life regardless of those who come against you. The depression had consumed me to believe that I was no longer needed here. Yet it allowed me to see what is essential and most importantly WHO is critical and that I am important.  The other no longer matters. This is God's plan, His work and no person can destroy what He has planned.  I am just coming out of the dark, trying not to allow those who are good at sucking you back in affect me.  Baby steps.  Every day I must choose to keep going and focus on loving myself, which does not come naturally to me. It is a commitment mentally, just as I had committed to work out four times a week for the last 5 years to keep my physical body in shape.  It is now time to keep the mental and emotional self in shape. I now need to grow a thick skin. Sometimes it takes a swift kick in the gut to get you to come out of the dark to find the light again.

     

No comments:

Post a Comment